Open position: Student assistant / data analyst (m/w)
Context of your tasks: The SmartH2O project
How can you encourage users to save water? In SmartH2O, we are trying to accomplish this through a web portal and mobile apps that raise the users’ awareness on their own consumption, and that provide practical tips they can use to save water around the house and garden. Smart water meters provide us with fine-grained water consumption data that is used to give feedback to the users.
In such systems the motivation of users is crucial to keep users engaged with a topic they usually rarely think about. To engage the users, gamification principles are used, including points, leaderboards, badges, and real-life rewards such as museum tickets or – when you end up first on the leaderboard– an iPad.
The SmartH2O project is an EU-funded consortium project, with partners from Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK, Romania and Switzerland. For more information, please see http://eipcm2019.eipcm.org/project/sh2o/
Now at the end of the project we want to find out whether the use of the web portal or the apps has been effective, in terms of impact on water consumption, user activity in the apps, or awareness levels. Your task consists of preparing and running analyses to identify patterns in user activity data in relation to consumption and awareness measures. Research questions we are pursuing include: does an increased usage of the portal and app lead to less water consumption? Can clusters of users with similar activity patterns or similar baseline water consumption patterns be identified? How does the activity of users evolve over time?
What you bring with you
- Good knowledge of and experience with data analysis and information retrieval methods
- Experience with cluster analysis is preferred
- Experience with querying relational databases (e.g. MySQL)
- Flexibility in working hours and a hands-on mentality
- Affinity with the research topic addressed in SmartH2O is a bonus
- Depending on your availability, you will be working between 8 and 12 hours a week.
- You can either work from home remotely, or – if you like to spend time in Berlin – work from our office right opposite from the Brandenburg Gate!
- Salary is in line with salary for student assistants; additional bonus possible for candidates with excellent skills and proven experience.
Please send your CV and a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Open position: Social Media & UCD Specialist
The European Institute for Participatory Media in Berlin invites applications for the position of
Social Media & UCD Specialist (part-time 60% – 80% / full-time opt.)
Are you a communicative person with a university degree (Communication Sciences, UCD/UX or related) and experience in Social Media communications? You would like to work in a dynamic, international team? Then you should apply!
We are continuously looking for Scientific Project Managers, Researchers and Software Developers with skills and experience in the different areas (availability subject to current projects status):
- Social Computing, Crowdsourcing and Human Computation
- Information and Knowledge Visualization,
- Interaction Design and Interface Design,
- Web2.0, Collaboration and Social Media,
- Interactive Systems and Mobile Computing,
- User-centred Design and Usability Engineering.
You will have a chance to work on top-notch research projects within an international network of partners in Germany and Europe. There is a possibility of working towards a PhD degree in cooperation with our partner universities or performing Post-Doc research for further scientific qualification. Candidates with apropriate experience can be given the chance of acquiring own projects towards building-up an own research team. Send your application with a detailed CV, letter of motivation and research interests to email@example.com
If you are interested in being considered as a freelance collaborator you can register your profile with our freelance database by sending a short Email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the word “register” in the subject and attach a complete CV (PDF). The database is confidential and available only to us and our partner institutions.
Communication, PR and Events More information…
Web and Interaction Design More information…
Prototyping and Web Applications More information…
Proposal Writing for EU/BMBF Research Funds More information…